Teachers > Azmi Samdjaga
Azmi was literally dragged to his first yoga class by his best friend back in 1998. He became interested in Hatha and Iyengar and stayed with this practice until he found Ashtanga in 2002 – and got hooked.
In 2004 he found himself spending 3 months practising in Mysore under the late K. Pattabhi Jois. Since 2015, he has been returning to Mysore annually to further study the Ashtanga method with his grandson Sharath Rangaswamy and with Sharath's mother, Saraswati Jois.
Although Azmi has studied with great yoga masters, he considers his students his greatest teachers. To him, being in a class not only allows him to impart knowledge and share wisdom but also provides a platform for students to self-explore – whether they're beginners or seasoned practitioners. Azmi’s passion grew through communication with his students, as he worked closely with them to support and assist them.
Having been trained in dance, massage therapy, and recently sound therapy, Azmi fuses his knowledge of movement, physiology and body awareness in his yoga classes through sensible sequencing enhanced with singing bowls to heighten the full experience of the yoga journey. His recent certification with David Swenson and The Sound Healing Academy (London) in Melbourne has enhanced his knowledge to further support his teachings in Mysore class and the magical Nada and Yin/Sound Bath class.
Azmi takes an accessible approach to his teachings to help students develop a stronger connection with their body, learn acceptance in being still and cultivate compassion, all of which he believes are the essence of yoga.
QUALIFICATIONS & CERTIFICATIONS
- Certification in Wall Rope Teacher's Training Level 1 (2019)
- Ashtanga Teachers Training in Adjusting and Assisting with David Swenson (2019)
- Sound Healing Foundations Level 1 with Sound Healing Academy Melbourne (2019)
- Certification in Dharma Yoga Wheel (2016)
- Ashtanga Primary and Intermediate Series Immersion with Laruga Glaser (2015)
- YinYoga Immersion with Sarah Powers (2014)
- Advanced Ashtanga Certificate with John Scott (2008)
- Yin Yoga with Victor Chng (2007)
- Synergy Yoga Immersion with Simon-Borg Oliver (2007)
- Diploma in Ashtanga Yoga Instruction with Al Holistic Yoga School (2004)
- Certificate in Advanced Massage in Bali with Esalen Institute, Big Sur (2004)
- Certificate in Esalen Massage Proficiency (2004)