Pre- & Post-natal Yoga Teacher Training with Samantha Chan
Yoga’s emphasis on relaxation and body and breath awareness suits pregnant women’s perinatal fitness needs perfectly. Specialised pre-natal practices help them tune into the needs and changes of pregnancy and to promote relaxation and suppleness. This Pre- & Post-natal Yoga Teacher Training is dedicated to:
• Nurturing physically, emotionally and spiritually expectant mothers, birth partners & their unborn children
• Encouraging practitioners to unfold the body-mind-spirit connection that is vital to the practice of yoga
• Passing on these experiences to future mothers, parents & their unborn children
This training offers an in-depth review of the anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, labour and birth. Trainees will gain extensive experience with asanas well-suited to pregnant women and a thorough understanding of contraindications during pregnancy. The training will attune teachers to the profound physical, emotional, mental and spiritual transitions of pregnancy and birth and demonstrate how tools such as chanting, pranayama, deep relaxation and meditation can be effective ways of coping with these changes.
This course is delivered using a combination of face-to-face lectures, practicum, your own research, observation of classes, teaching practice, and assignments.
The course is fully registered with Yoga Alliance. Completion will allow you to become a Yoga Alliance Registered Pre-natal Yoga Teacher (RPYT). Upon completion of this course and all assignments, students will be awarded a certificate of participation.
Yoga Alliance Accredited School
Pure Yoga is a registered school with Yoga Alliance. Our teacher training programmes and teachers are internationally accredited, have exclusive recognition and qualify for the 200-hr Yoga Alliance Certification.
Yoga Alliance is an international governing board for yoga teachers and training programmes in the U.S and globally. Graduates of our programme are automatically eligible to register as a RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) with Yoga Alliance. Becoming a RYT means having a higher profile and gaining international recognition as a yoga teacher attributes that many hiring studios look for.
We offer this training in an effort to grow our community of committed yoga practitioners, empowering those who demonstrate dedication to a personal practice, by sharing the knowledge, skills and tools we have learned so they too can start teaching yoga.
We intend to guide trainees toward a healthy self-confidence, while at the same time invoking in them a sense of humility and excitement, knowing that they are at the beginning of a long journey.
Module 1: Pre-natal Yoga
This module provides each student with an in-depth knowledge of pre-natal yoga, helping them foster a deeper personal consciousness and inner self-awareness. We focus on providing our teachers with a balanced understanding of the emotional and psychological journey into motherhood as well as the relevant and precise anatomy and physiology. This enables our teachers to guide women into their own intuition with integrity and awareness.
• Asanas, pranayama (breathing techniques), meditation, and other yogic practices for pregnancy through direct experiential learning
• Common complaints, contraindications and conditions during pregnancy, and skills on how to adapt your teaching safely
• Modifications and adjustments for different trimesters & different levels of experience in a pre-natal yoga class
• Safe, effective and inspiring teaching methods for a pre-natal yoga teacher
• Organisational skills, communication skills, planning, presentation, evaluation, and structure of a pre-natal yoga class
• Aromatherapy for pregnancy – apply knowledge and skills of aromatherapy to help women cope with physiological and psycho-emotional discomforts in pregnancy
Module 2: Post-natal Yoga
This module teaches the skills to build a foundation of physical, emotional and spiritual health from which women can flourish as mothers and in all the roles they play. It will also cover some practical techniques to help them feel centred, give them a more positive outlook, and provide simple tools to empower themselves throughout their day on and off the mat.
• Anatomy and physiology of post-natal women – hormonal changes, pelvic floor recovery, birth trauma
• Specific post-natal yoga practice and principles – safety issues, maternal posture, core strength, relaxation
• Teaching skills for post-natal yoga
• Benefits of yoga in the post-natal period
• Reflection on birth, mother and baby attachment, feeding, spectrum of emotions following birth, and post-natal depression
• Common physical and emotional complaints and ailments after labour
• Importance of housekeeping and environment, class format options, venue, advertising, and health and safety
• Aromatherapy for postpartum mothers – apply knowledge and skills of aromatherapy to help women cope with physiological and psycho-emotional discomforts and postpartum issues
Module 3: Yoga for Active Birth
This final module is only open to those who have completed Modules 1 & 2. This course will offer a deeper understanding of birth and the ways in which women/couples can prepare for this by offering insight, movement, breath and positioning, as well as many other tools that can help during the stages of labour.
• Anatomy and physiology of birth
• Different roles of a birthing partner
• An in-depth understanding of different stages of labour
• Importance of birth hormones
• Optimal positioning and use of movement to help during different stages of labour
• Breathing and relaxation techniques for mothers and birthing partners
• Use of sound, visualisation and meditation to help during labour
• Strategies for implementing active birthing techniques in hospital settings
• Aromatherapy for labouring – apply knowledge and skills of aromatherapy to help women cope with physiological and psycho-emotional discomforts during labour
Full Programme : 8-24 October 2021
Module 1 : Pre-natal Yoga 8-10 October, Friday – Sunday
Module 2 : Post-natal Yoga 16 & 17 October, Saturday & Sunday
Module 3 : Yoga for Active Birth 21-24 October , Thursday – Sunday
8:30am – 12:30pm, 1:30pm – 5:30pm
Commitment, determination and good health are the basic requisites. Students must be prepared to make personal sacrifices in order to achieve 100% course attendance.
• To be dedicated to the practice of yoga
• To either be yoga teachers, yoga teacher trainees or health care professionals who have great interest in knowing more about the benefits of pregnancy yoga
• To be women. Men can teach great pregnancy classes – but we believe that for pregnancy yoga to be a transformative experience leading women to discover their power as women and mothers, classes need to be facilitated by women.
It is not necessary to have children in order to safely and beautifully teach pre-natal yoga. All that is needed is sincere interest and desire to learn more about pregnancy & the birthing process
Samantha began yoga with intentions to deepen her personal practice and expand her knowledge of yoga. After her first teacher training programme in 2005, yoga transformed into a lifelong journey of learning, opening, sharing and teaching. Samantha’s vision and knowledge have grown to include not only yoga, but also women’s health, life balance, and total wellness. She enjoys her friendships, family, pottery, photography, reading, hiking, travel and food.
Samantha’s inspiration comes from each of her past teachers as well as her students. She believes that watching students practise yoga increases her understanding of yoga’s complete benefit for a happy and healthy life. This enables her to continually grow as she teaches. In addition to her foundational Hatha Vinyasa teacher training, she has also expanded into Pre- and Post-natal Yoga Teacher Training, Birthlight Perinatal Yoga, Infant Massage, and Kids Yoga.
Samantha is particularly focused on teaching that allows for the progression of students at their own paces. Her style is steady, calm and very approachable. She has an astonishing way of making students work, raising their practice to higher and higher levels – without them feeling it was all work and no play… … aptly her nickname is ‘Killer Sam’! She is down-to-earth and guiding in her life as well as her teaching.
QUALIFICATIONS & CERTIFICATIONS
· Power + Precision + Mindfulness Mastering the Art of Vinyasa Yoga 50-hour Training with Jason Crandell (2016)
· Dharma Yoga Wheel Teacher Training with Dov Bargas & Leela Om (2016)
· Diploma in Birthlight Postnatal with Jane Collins, Birthlight, UK (2016)
· Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, Institute for Integrative Nutrition, USA (2016)
· Yoga Bou Teacher Training Course with Michiko Minegishi (2015)
· Yoga Biomechanics Lab with Jonas Weststring (2015)
· Diploma in Birthlight Perinatal Yoga Parts 1 and 2 with Jane Collins, Birthlight, UK (2015)
· Reiki Master with Joyce Thom (2015)
· Wall Rope Yoga 35-hour Training Level 1 (Iyengar Based) with Bryan Legere (2014)
· Certification on Massage in Schools Programme (MISP), Massage in Schools Association International (2014)
· Raw Food Chef and Health Educator Certification, Levels 1-3 (2013-2014)
· Certification on Infant Massage, International Association of Infant Massage, Sweden (2014)
· Alexander Method of SMR Level I Coach Certification (2014)
· Reiki I and II with Joyce Thom (2013)
· Insight Yoga Teacher Training with Sarah Powers, Taiwan (2012)
· Yoga Therapy Diploma Certification from Paramanand University of India (2011)
· Pregnancy, Birth and Baby Yoga Teacher Training with Jean Byrne & Michelle Papa (2011)
· Moving into Meditation with Sarah Powers, Hong Kong (2011)
· Yin Yoga Training – A 3-day Teacher Intensive with Sarah Powers, Beijing (25 hours) (2010)
· Diploma in Yogakids Facilitator, CYKF, Yoga Kids International (2009)
· POET for Yoga Anatomy with Ellen Heed (31 hours) (2009)
· Foundations YogaKids Facilitator Training and Certification Programme, Yoga Kids International (2008)
· Functional Anatomy for Yoga Teachers with Ellen Heed (20 hours) (2007)
· 250-hour Hatha Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Training at Yoga Limbs Hong Kong (2006)
Early-bird 20% off Discount
Early-bird 10% off Discount
Module 1 : Pre-natal Yoga
Module 2 : Post-natal Yoga
Module 3 : Yoga for Active Birth
Photos and video may be taken, solely for PURE marketing purposes.
Please complete an online application form or email us to apply. You will be notified by email within 3-5 days of its approval along with a Welcome Letter outlining payment procedures and further details. Application is NOT required for Morning Intensives. Please register at studio reception.
Early-Bird Price: Application sent in on or before 31 July 2021.
Regular Price: Application sent in starting from 1 August 2021.
· No refund or credit will be given for cancellation starting 1 August 2021.
· All refunds are subject to a 10% processing fee that will be deducted from your refund.
This programme requires a minimum of 10 students.
Healthy-licious juice cleanse offer from nood food
- $200 discount on nood food 3-Day juice cleanse for all yoga event registrants on training dates. Ask nood food staff at your event location for details.
- 10% off all nood food items for all yoga event registrants on dates of the training.
For enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please refer here for the full terms & conditions