The Foundation Training for Yoga Teachers with Patrick Creelman
Part I: 21 October – 7 November & Part II: 24 November – 12 December
Personal transformation is the goal of this programme – through strong, intelligent daily practice and theory-based workshops for developing a solid foundation in teaching yoga. This training will focus on the most essential skills necessary to step into a classroom upon graduation and confidently guide a 60-minute vinyasa practice based on strength and intelligent alignment.
A time-tested programme with graduates currently teaching in major studios all over the world, this training has proven to be a professional step towards being a fully-accredited yoga teacher and a huge leap into your own empowerment.
The Foundation is a 27-day, full-time training programme. It offers a positive philosophy grounded in recognising life's innate goodness combined with Universal Principles of Alignment. To ensure that teachers retain the practical classroom skills and academic study of the history and literature of yoga, there are weekly summaries and exams to reflect the progress.
Patrick has over 10 years of experience in teaching teachers. He will lead and support the entire group through the challenge of becoming confident in your own potential, whilst embodying the knowledge that is most important and having practical experience with the essential skills. This programme has proven time and time again to produce life-changing positive results.
Yoga Alliance Accredited School
PURE Yoga is a registered school with Yoga Alliance. Our teacher training programmes and teachers are internationally accredited, have exclusive recognition and qualify for the 200-hr Yoga Alliance Certification.
Yoga Alliance is an international governing board for yoga teachers and training programmes in the U.S. and globally. Graduates of our programme are automatically eligible to register as a RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) with Yoga Alliance. Becoming a RYT means having a higher profile and gaining international recognition as a yoga teacher, attributes that many hiring studios look for.
We offer this training in an effort to grow our community of committed yoga practitioners, empowering those who demonstrate dedication to a personal practice, by sharing the knowledge, skills and tools we have learned so they too can start teaching yoga.
We intend to guide trainees toward a healthy self-confidence, while at the same time invoking in them a sense of humility and excitement, knowing that they are at the beginning of a long journey.
For enquiries, email email@example.com
• In-depth study of basic alignments for over 100 asanas. Beginner & intermediate poses
• Learn safe positioning for beginner-level students
• Key modifications for all standard poses for stiff, injured or beginner students
• Key guidelines for keeping students safe whilst practising with you
• Key understanding of balancing muscle engagement & active stretching
• Learn how to create optimal opening of the body in every pose
• Focal point Intelligence – discover which is the centre point for each asana and how to benefit from activating towards and from it to perform the full pose
• Key descriptive language for effective teaching of asana
• Benefits and potential risks of each asana
• Adjustments – physical and verbal
Yoga Props Usage
• Study the proper use of a yoga chair, belt, blanket, blocks, bolster and yoga mat
• Learn quick use of props for flow classes
• Learn more methodical use of props for slower study of asanas
• Use props for injuries and to investigate poses from different approaches to go deeper
Anatomy & Physiology
• Introduction to yoga anatomy – organs and systems of the body, skeletal system, muscular system, and the biomechanical intelligence of the body
• Study all the major joints – movements, restrictions, muscular system, physiology, postural muscles
• Understand the muscular system – muscles for movement and alignment in asana
• Study the basic techniques for breath awareness
• Learn reclining pranayama for activating the ribs, then the lungs
• Learn Ujjaii 1, Ujjaii 2, Viloma & Nadi Shodhana
• Learn the benefits of deep relaxation
• Practise Yoga Nidra
• Kriya – explore the traditional basic active cleansing techniques
• Start a daily practice during the training with guided meditation techniques
• Daily journal exercises to contemplate the challenges and the rewards of meditation
• Begin a self-practice of basic meditation
• Learn the basics of teaching meditation
• Study the art of teaching
• Observe the structure of classroom dynamics
• Practise teaching one-on-one with fellow teachers
• Practise teaching small groups of 2-5 students
• Contemplate your key motivations for teaching and realise that by knowing them, you can use them to teach from the core of your being
• Establishing Your Teaching Voice with exercises and feedback
• Introductions & Closing exercises for professional classes
• The Art of Good Demonstrations
• Ethics to consider as part of committing to the path of yoga and the seat of a Teacher
• Explore Confident and Welcoming Body Language
Weekly exercises in the Art & Science of Sequencing Theory
7:00am – 9:00am Morning Intensive (Asana, Pranayama, Meditation)
10:00am – 6:00pm Study (including break)
**Lunch break 12:30am - 2:00pm
**Morning Intensive Only (Rest of the day off)
4 & 24 November
1 & 8 December
7:00am – 9:00am Morning Intensive (Asana, Pranayama, Meditation)
The Morning Intensives are the daily asana practice. The intensives run 7:00am – 9:00am daily. They include asana, pranayama and meditation practice.
They are an integral part of the programme where techniques are learned, skills are sharpened and the fire of transformation is fuelled. The commitment to practising with the same group of yogis over an extended period of time has enormous power in it.
This part of the programme is open to students who desire a life-affirming shift, but are not participating in the full Teacher Training. Those registered in the Full Teacher Training have this included in the programme.
Students who are interested in participating should bear in mind that this will be a physically and emotionally demanding programme. It will require a strong commitment and personal sacrifice, as well as the support of the student's primary support network.
Interested students must
• Have a deep desire to learn and personally explore the deeper dimensions of yoga
• Have a minimum of 12 months of regular yoga practice
• Be free of major injuries going into the programme
• Have a coachable attitude
• Be fully committed and understand that 100% full attendance is required
• Be willing to forgo most other personal or professional commitments for the duration of the programme
• Have read the required readings and submitted homework below prior to the beginning of the course.
Homework Submission Prior to Start of Course
• Bhagavad Gita – 250- to 500-word summary of the main teachings, PLUS choose 3 favorite chapters and write 1 paragraph on each: what you learned from it and why you liked it.
• Light on Life – Write a 250-word summary and what you found to be the most insightful or inspiring aspect of this book
• Light on Yoga - Write a basic explanation of the Yamas & Niyamas as outlined in the first section of Light On Yoga and how they are beneficial to your life today.
• Practice, Study & Memorise the WildLotus Foundation Practice Sequence. (Students should know the poses by name and picture using Light On Yoga as reference)
Required Readings Prior to Training
• Light on Life - by B.K.S. Iyengar
• Bhagavad Gita (any version)
• Light on Yoga - by B.K.S. Iyengar
• WildLotus Foundation Practice Sequence (will be sent to students before training)
Will I be able to teach right after I graduate from this programme?
Yes. All the course materials taught in this course prepare students with all the foundational knowledge and skills needed to become yoga teachers. Some students take it to deepen their own personal practice, kick-start a life transformational experience, while others do it to immediately to start a teaching career. Others who do not want to proceed into teaching immediately would immerse into further trainings. More than half the students from our graduate programmes begin teaching friends, family, moving into part-time teaching in studios and then full-time teaching.
Will I be able to teach at Pure Yoga after graduating from this programme?
Pure Yoga is always open to applications and supports graduates from our programmes. We do have many teachers at Pure Yoga currently that are previous graduates. While we encourage graduates to apply with us, there is never a guarantee of job placement due to availability of openings or space within our studios. However, any graduates that apply with us are kept in our database and are advised if there are openings available.
Will Pure Yoga help with my Yoga Alliance application?
Upon successful graduation of our teacher training programmes, Pure Yoga will send the students a link to where they can apply for the Yoga Alliance certification. Our programmes and our school is Yoga Alliance accredited, meaning that students graduating from our programmes will “automatically” be approved when they apply to Yoga Alliance. From there, students will take their own steps in applying for Yoga Alliance – whether you are applying for 200-hour certification, 500-hour or so forth.
If I miss one day, will I be able to make up for it?
Students undergoing this programme must be fully committed and understand that 100% full attendance is required. They must also be willing to forgo most other personal or professional commitments for the duration of the programme – only with 100% attendance and completion of the course will students receive a certificate and no make-up of work will be given. Should there be any problems with this, students must speak with the faculty prior to the course and only under very special circumstances will it be considered.
Will I receive a certificate after the programme?
Upon successful completion, 100% attendance, and following the code of conduct – students will receive a Certificate of Completion from Pure Yoga for this teacher training programme.
*Please refer here for the full terms & conditions