Art of Profound Relaxation: Restorative Yoga Teacher Training with Samantha Chan
Level I: 4, 5, 11 & 12 November, Level II: 18, 19, 25 & 26 November Peninsula Office Tower – Tsim Sha Tsui
Restorative yoga is a practice in and of itself for people of all ages, at all levels of yoga experience, and in all states of health. It does not create health or relaxation. It creates a space where, with the support of props, it might happen.
This healing yoga practice benefits any type of body, reduces stress and soothe the sympathetic nervous system. It gives time and space to your body so that it can restore itself. In this training you will learn straightforward techniques to practise and teach Restorative Yoga.
In our culture of constant activity and distraction, everything seems to accelerate and we find ourselves overstimulated and constantly trying to catch up and keep pace. In this training you will learn how to work with your nervous system and breath to decelerate and discover spaciousness and stillness within. It is by experiencing this relaxation state first that you will be able to guide your students into a similar experience.
This is a gentle and supportive style of Yoga that uses various props to support the body. When the body is fully supported, it will naturally relax, releasing deeply held tensions. Restorative yoga is the art of non-doing and focuses on effortlessness and ease using well-placed blankets, bolsters, yoga straps and chairs to safely support the body in various postures. This process invokes a natural state of balance, regeneration and deep rest. It is a soothing, nurturing and slow-paced practice that promotes the healing effects of rest. This is especially helpful for insomnia, depression, stress, low back pain, anxiety, etc.
After completing this course, you will be able to create safe restorative yoga classes. You will learn how to integrate restorative poses into your classes and make your classes more accessible by introducing prop-usage techniques; be equipped to design practice sessions for different body types; and be able to assist safely students during their practice.
Yoga Alliance Accredited School
PURE Yoga is a registered school with Yoga Alliance. Our teacher training programmes and teachers are internationally accredited, have exclusive recognition and qualify for the 200-hr & 300-hr Yoga Alliance Certification.
Yoga Alliance is an international governing board for yoga teachers and training programmes in the U.S. and globally. Graduates of our programme are automatically eligible to register as a RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) with Yoga Alliance. Becoming a RYT means having a higher profile and gaining international recognition as a yoga teacher, attributes that many hiring studios look for.
We offer this training in an effort to grow our community of committed yoga practitioners, empowering those who demonstrate dedication to a personal practice, by sharing the knowledge, skills and tools we have learned so they too can start teaching yoga.
We intend to guide trainees toward a healthy self-confidence, while at the same time invoking in them a sense of humility and excitement, knowing that they are at the beginning of a long journey.
Level I – Foundations & Theory of Restorative Yoga
This training programme provides the foundation to invoke the body’s natural state. Upon completion, participants will be able to create, guide, and practise a customised Restorative Yoga practice for themselves and others. It is highly recommended that participants continue with Restorative Teacher Training Level 2 to further their knowledge and experience, particularly in offering Restorative Yoga in a more therapeutic environment or to those with injury or illness.
- What is Restorative Yoga?/Basic of Restorative Yoga
- Science of the Relaxation Theory
- Anatomy of the nervous system: Parasympathetic and Sympathetic.
- How Restorative Yoga affects the nervous system
- The vagus nerve and its relationship to Restorative Yoga
- Difference between Restorative and Yin Yoga
- Understanding the physiological, psychological and emotional effect of each key restorative yoga pose
- Restorative asanas’ modifications, contraindications and cautions
- Proper use of props / The props of Restorative Yoga
- The art and subtleties of folding, propping and blanketing
Sequencing in Restorative Yoga
- The Art of Sequencing for classes
- Building a restorative practice for private clients and group classes
- Integrating restorative practice in general (non-restorative) classes
- Gaining confidence with presenting the material
- Principles of teaching and demonstration in restorative yoga
- Teaching language
- The art of ‘seeing’: a body and developing your eye and intuition
- The art of touch / Hands-on adjustments
- Optimising the environment for deep rest: ideal timing, atmosphere, reading the room
- The power of music vs silence
New and experienced yoga teachers as well as who love restorative and want to learn.
Level II – Teaching Restorative Yoga : Advanced Concepts
Level II training will expand on the topics explored in Level I – intimately examining the poses, props, modifications and environment, as well as introduce new topics to help you further develop your eye, voice, touch, intention and intuition. Uncover greater centeredness, clarity and expansiveness within yourself through direct somatic experience in the poses as you are nourished and immersed in the practice as a student first and a teacher second. This course covers:
- Level 2 restorative yoga poses, which include the inversion series
- The art of teaching restorative yoga with minimal props
- Developing dynamic use of props to address individual needs/special populations
- Therapeutic sequences for specific restorative alignments, such as:
- Release from active sport activity
- Lower back issues
- Upper Back
- Restorative yoga programmes for the mind, such as :
- Anxiety & Fear
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Restorative yoga and the four seasons
- Further developing your eye, voice, touch and intention in working both individually and in a group class setting.
- Developing and refining your ability to observe the body for intuiting the student’s needs
- Guiding students into deeper state of relaxation
- Using verbal cues and your cadence to deepen a student’s relaxation
- Refined and deeper assisting
- Pranayama in Restorative Yoga
- Emotional and philosophical dimensions of restorative yoga
It is open to those who have completed the Level I training. However, if you have extensive Restorative Yoga teaching experience (minimum 2 years of weekly teaching) or have completed Restorative Yoga Training from another school, you may apply for approval to take this training.
The training includes lecture, demonstration, practice, group work/partnering and practice teaching. You will learn how to guide your students into deep, conscious relaxation, leading them to a place where healing and growth can occur.
Level I: 4, 5, 11 & 12 November
Level II – 18, 19, 25 & 26 November
Saturday & Sunday (8.5 hours per day)
8:30am – 6:00pm
Level I: 34 contact hours + 1 non-contact hour
Level II: 34 contact hours + 1 non-contact hour
**Students who attend 100% of the training will receive a 70-hr Restorative Yoga Teacher Training certificate. These training hours can be added towards your Continuing Education with the Yoga Alliance.
Please read the requested reading materials before the training starts.
- “Relax & Renew” by Judith Lasater
- “Restore & Rebalance” by Judith Lasater
- Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh
Assessment & Accreditation
On-going assessment and practicums are included during the training. You will also have to complete a short quiz at the end of the training. A certification of completion will be issued. This can be used for Yoga Alliance CEU in Restorative Yoga based on hours of programme.
Samantha began yoga with intentions to deepen her personal practice and expand her knowledge of yoga. After her first teacher training programme in 2005, yoga transformed into a lifelong journey of learning, opening, sharing and teaching. Samantha’s vision and knowledge have grown to include not only yoga, but also women’s health, life balance, and total wellness. She enjoys her friendships, family, pottery, photography, reading, hiking, travel and food.
Samantha’s inspiration comes from each of her past teachers as well as her students. She believes that watching students practise yoga increases her understanding of yoga’s complete benefit for a happy and healthy life. This enables her to continually grow as she teaches. In addition to her foundational Hatha Vinyasa teacher training, she has also expanded into Pre- and Post-natal Yoga Teacher Training, Birthlight Perinatal Yoga, Infant Massage, and Kids Yoga.
Samantha is particularly focused on teaching that allows for the progression of students at their own paces. Her style is steady, calm and very approachable. She has an astonishing way of making students work, raising their practice to higher and higher levels – without them feeling it was all work and no play… … aptly her nickname is ‘Killer Sam’! She is down-to-earth and guiding in her life as well as her teaching.
QUALIFICATIONS & CERTIFICATIONS
- Power + Precision + Mindfulness Mastering the Art of Vinyasa Yoga 50-hour Training with Jason Crandell (2016)
- Dharma Yoga Wheel Teacher Training with Dov Bargas & Leela Om (2016)
- Diploma in Birthlight Postnatal with Jane Collins, Birthlight, UK (2016)
- Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, Institute for Integrative Nutrition, USA (2016)
- Yoga Bou Teacher Training Course with Michiko Minegishi (2015)
- Yoga Biomechanics Lab with Jonas Weststring (2015)
- Diploma in Birthlight Perinatal Yoga Parts 1 and 2 with Jane Collins, Birthlight, UK (2015)
- Reiki Master with Joyce Thom (2015)
- Wall Rope Yoga 35-hour Training Level 1 (Iyengar Based) with Bryan Legere (2014)
- Certification on Massage in Schools Programme (MISP), Massage in Schools Association International (2014)
- Raw Food Chef and Health Educator Certification, Levels 1-3 (2013-2014)
- Certification on Infant Massage, International Association of Infant Massage, Sweden (2014)
- Alexander Method of SMR Level I Coach Certification (2014)
- Reiki I and II with Joyce Thom (2013)
- Insight Yoga Teacher Training with Sarah Powers, Taiwan (2012)
- Yoga Therapy Diploma Certification from Paramanand University of India (2011)
- Pregnancy, Birth and Baby Yoga Teacher Training with Jean Byrne & Michelle Papa (2011)
- Moving into Meditation with Sarah Powers, Hong Kong (2011)
- Yin Yoga Training – A 3-day Teacher Intensive with Sarah Powers, Beijing (25 hours) (2010)
- Diploma in Yogakids Facilitator, CYKF, Yoga Kids International (2009)
- POET for Yoga Anatomy with Ellen Heed (31 hours) (2009)
- Foundations YogaKids Facilitator Training and Certification Programme, Yoga Kids International (2008)
- Functional Anatomy for Yoga Teachers with Ellen Heed (20 hours) (2007)
• 250-hour Hatha Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Training at Yoga Limbs Hong Kong (2006)
Level I: 4, 5, 11 & 12 November
Level II: 18, 19, 25 & 26 November
Saturday & Sunday (8.5 hours per day)
8:30am – 6:00pm
Super Early-Bird Prices:
Full Training: Level I & Level II
Level I Drop-in
Level II Drop-in
Photos and video may be taken, solely for PURE marketing purposes.
Please complete an online application form or email us to apply. You will be notified by email within 3-5 days of its approval along with a Welcome Letter outlining payment procedures and further details. Application is NOT required for Morning Intensives. Please register at studio reception.
- Super Early-Bird Price: Applications to be sent on or before 30 September 2023.
- Early-Bird Price: Applications sent in on or before 31 October 2023.
- Regular Price: Applications sent in starting from 1 November 2023.
- No refund or credit will be given for cancellation starting 1 November 2023.
- All refunds are subject to a 10% processing fee that will be deducted from your refund.
- All applications for refund (medical & emergency reasons) must be made within 3 days after the event finishes
This programme is taught in a small group of up to 11 students. Depending on enrolment, you will be assigned to a group with similar experience.
Special offer from nood food
- 10% off all nood food items or $5 off for all nood cold-pressed juices for all yoga event registrants on dates of the workshop.
Special offer from KURIOS
- 15% off for PURE Cardholders and 10% off for non-PURE Cardholders on all KURIOS regular-priced products for all yoga event registrants on dates of the workshop.
For enquiries, please firstname.lastname@example.org
*If there is any discrepancy between the printed and web versions, the web version shall prevail.
*Please refer here for the full terms & conditions