Teachers > Azmi Samdjaga
Azmi was literally dragged to his first yoga class by his best friend back in 1998. He had never sweated so much before and was so sore the following day that he decided it wasn't for him, until he met Hee Boon who got him instantly hooked.
He discovered Ashtanga in 2002 and just naturally committed himself to it. In 2004 he found himself spending 3 months practising in Mysore under the late Guruji Patthabi Jois. Since 2015, he has been returning to Mysore annually to further study the Ashtanga method with his grandson Sharath Rangaswamy and with Sharath's mother, Saraswati Jois.
Although Azmi has studied with great yoga masters, he considers his students his greatest teachers. To him, being in a class not only allows him to impart knowledge and share wisdom but also provides a platform for students to self-explore – whether they're beginners or seasoned practitioners.
Having been trained in dance, massage therapy, and recently sound therapy, Azmi fuses his knowledge of movement, physiology and body awareness in his yoga classes through sensible sequencing enhanced with singing bowls to heighten the full experience of the yoga journey.
Azmi takes an accessible approach to his teachings to help students develop a stronger connection with their body, learn acceptance in being still and cultivate compassion, all of which he believes are the essence of yoga.
QUALIFICATIONS & CERTIFICATIONS
- Insight Yoga with Sarah Powers
- Yin Yoga with Victor Chng
- Diploma in Ashtanga Yoga Instruction with Al Holistic Yoga School
- Advanced Ashtanga Certificate with John Scott
- Ashtanga Primary and Intermediate Series Immersion with Laruga Glaser
- Certificate in Advanced Massage with Esalen with modules on Shiatsu, Thai, Swedish and Balinese styles of massage
- Certificate in Esalen Massage Proficiency
- Certification in Dharma Yoga Wheel
- Himalayan Singing Bowl Therapy with The Singing Bowl Gallery