The Foundation Training for Yoga Teachers
Personal transformation is the goal of this programme – through strong, intelligent daily practice and theory-based workshops for developing a solid foundation in teaching yoga. This training will focus on the most essential skills necessary to step into a classroom upon graduation and confidently guide a 60-minute vinyasa practice based on strength and intelligent alignment.
A time-tested programme with graduates currently teaching in major studios all over the world, this training has proven to be a professional step towards being a fully-accredited yoga teacher and a huge leap into your own empowerment.
The Foundation is a 24-day, full-time training programme. It offers a positive philosophy grounded in recognising life's innate goodness combined with Universal Principles of Alignment. To ensure that teachers retain the practical classroom skills and academic study of the history and literature of yoga, there are weekly summaries and exams to reflect the progress.
Patrick has over 10 years of experience in teaching teachers. He will lead and support the entire group through the challenge of becoming confident in your own potential, whilst embodying the knowledge that is most important and having practical experience with the essential skills. This programme has proven time and time again to produce life-changing positive results.
Yoga Alliance Accredited School
Pure Yoga is a registered school with Yoga Alliance. Our teacher training programmes and teachers are internationally accredited, have exclusive recognition and qualify for the 200-hr Yoga Alliance Certification.
Yoga Alliance is an international governing board for yoga teachers and training programmes in the U.S. and globally. Graduates of our programme are automatically eligible to register as a RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) with Yoga Alliance. Becoming a RYT means having a higher profile and gaining international recognition as a yoga teacher, attributes that many hiring studios look for.
We offer this training in an effort to grow our community of committed yoga practitioners, empowering those who demonstrate dedication to a personal practice, by sharing the knowledge, skills and tools we have learned so they too can start teaching yoga.
We intend to guide trainees toward a healthy self-confidence, while at the same time invoking in them a sense of humility and excitement, knowing that they are at the beginning of a long journey.
For enquiries, email email@example.com or call +86 21 6318 8830
• In-depth study of basic alignments for over 100 asanas. Beginner & intermediate poses
• Learn safe positioning for beginner-level students
• Key modifications for all standard poses for stiff, injured or beginner students
• Key guidelines for keeping students safe whilst practising with you
• Key understanding of balancing muscle engagement & active stretching
• Learn how to create optimal opening of the body in every pose
• Focal point Intelligence – discover which is the centre point for each asana and how to benefit from activating towards and from it to perform the full pose
• Key descriptive language for effective teaching of asana
• Benefits and potential risks of each asana
• Adjustments – physical and verbal
Yoga Props Usage
• Study the proper use of a yoga chair, belt, blanket, blocks, bolster and yoga mat
• Learn quick use of props for flow classes
• Learn more methodical use of props for slower study of asanas
• Use props for injuries and to investigate poses from different approaches to go deeper
Anatomy & Physiology
• Introduction to yoga anatomy – organs and systems of the body, skeletal system, muscular system, and the biomechanical intelligence of the body
• Study all the major joints – movements, restrictions, muscular system, physiology, postural muscles
• Understand the muscular system – muscles for movement and alignment in asana
• Study the timeline for an overview of the historical Yoga Lineages
• Understand how we got here: from the first schools of yoga all the way to the modern era
• Tantra and modern yoga
• Buddha and Buddhism's influence on yoga
• Classical Yoga of Patañjali =>Yoga Sutra study
• The Bhagavad Gita
• Understanding the Five Elements (Space, Air, Fire, Water, Earth)
• The Three Doshas (3 main mind/body principles that create special mental and physical characteristics)
• Examine the basics of a Yogic Diet – You Are What You Eat
• Esoteric Anatomy (the anatomical system of conscious energy within the body)
• Chakras (energy centres)
• Mudras (seal or locking energies)
• Bandhas (energy locks)
• Vayus (energies of the breath)
• Nadis (system of passageways through our bodies where we transform and move the energy of the breath) Pranayama
• Study the basic techniques for breath awareness
• Learn reclining pranayama for activating the ribs, then the lungs
• Learn Ujjaii 1, Ujjaii 2, Viloma & Nadi Shodhana
• Learn the benefits of deep relaxation
• Practise yoga nidhra
• Kriya – explore the traditional basic active cleansing techniques
• Start a daily practice during the training with guided meditation techniques
• Daily journal exercises to contemplate the challenges and the rewards of meditation
• Begin a self-practice of basic meditation
• Leave the basics of teaching meditation
• Study the art of teaching
• Observe the structure of classroom dynamics
• Practise teaching one-on-one with fellow teachers
• Practise teaching small groups of 2-5 students
• Contemplate your key motivations for teaching and realise that by knowing them, you can use them to teach from the core of your being
• Establishing Your Teaching Voice with exercises and feedback
• Introductions & Closing exercises for professional classes
• The Art of Good Demonstrations
• Ethics to consider as part of committing to the path of yoga and the seat of a Teacher
• Explore Confident and Welcoming Body Language
Weekly exercises in the Art & Science of Sequencing Theory
20 April, Monday – 16 May, Saturday
Days Off: Sundays 26 April, 3, 10 May
Monday – Friday
7:00am – 9:00am Morning Intensive (Asana, Pranayama, Meditation)
10:00am – 5:00pm Study (including break)
7:00am – 10:00am Morning Intensive (Asana, Pranayama, Meditation)
The Morning Intensives are the daily asana practice. The intensives run 8:00am – 10:00am daily (Sundays off). They include asana, pranayama and meditation practice.
They are an integral part of the programme where techniques are learned, skills are sharpened and the fire of transformation is fueled. The commitment to practice with the same group of yogis over an extended period of time has enormous power in it.
This part of the programme is open to students who desire a life-affirming shift, but are not participating in the full Teacher Training. Those registered in the Full Teacher Training have this included in the programme.
Students who are interested in participating should bear in mind that this will be a physically and emotionally demanding programme. It will require a strong commitment and personal sacrifice, as well as the support of the student's primary support network.
Interested students must:
• Have a deep desire to learn and personally explore the deeper dimensions of yoga
• Have a minimum of 12 months of regular yoga practice
• Be free of major injuries going into the programme
• Have a coachable attitude
• Be fully committed and understand that 100% full attendance is required
• Be willing to forgo most other personal or professional commitments for the duration of the programme
• Have read the required readings and submitted homework below prior to the beginning of the course.
Homework Submission Prior to Start of Course
• Bhagavad Gita – 250 to 500-word summary of the main teachings, PLUS choose 3 favorite chapters and write 1 paragraph on each: what you learned from it and why you liked it.
• Light on Life – Write a 250-word summary and what you found to be the most insightful or inspiring aspect of this book
• Light on Yoga - Write a basic explanation of the Yamas & Niyamas as outlined in the first section of Light On Yoga and how they are beneficial to your life today.
• Practice, Study & Memorize the WildLotus Foundation Practice Sequence. (Students should know the poses by name and picture using Light On Yoga as reference)
Required Readings Prior to Training
• Light on Life - by B.K.S. Iyengar
• Bhagavad Gita (any version)
• Light on Yoga - by B.K.S. Iyengar
• WildLotus Foundation Practice Sequence (will be sent to students upon attendance approval)
As Pure Yoga's founding teacher, Patrick has found a unique role over the past decade as a leader in the growing yoga community throughout South East Asia. His teachings are informed by years of study under the yogic traditions of tantric philosophy and skilful alignment which his classes are based on, allowing students to access and build upon their own strength and intelligence.
这个过程，让我学会了了另一个层⾯的tranquil mind！我平静的耐心的等待⾃己、善待⾃己！还记得有⼀次下午的教学课老师对我说过一句话：Jessica, be kind to yourself !我很感动，因为她看到了我当时在做倒立时候的挣扎！是的，我们必须善待⾃己，会善待⾃己才懂的善待他人！我要让⾃己勇敢坚强，有慈悲心，才有能力去帮助别⼈人！这句话我⼀直深深记在⼼里！当我们⼼绪更冷静，不再对负⾯面情绪有过多反应，我们也更能专注当下，我们的头脑和思路也更加清晰，最近培训中。我也在同时处理⼀些工作中的难题，在以前我也能快速解决这些事情，但总是带着焦虑烦躁的情绪，可是现在可以冷静的分析事态，有调理的帮同事分析解决方案，而且思路更加清晰了！我想这就是自我稳定性更好了！当我意识到这样的改变，我想也许就是Patrick 老师说的真締：能量储存与身体和心智之间，当身体层面改变了，能量也会改变，我们看待事物的方式和思维方式也会改变吧！这次很兴奋也很惊讶，哲学的神奇力量！这⼀个⽉的课程，值得用⼀⽣去学习和理解！就像我当初培训前看博伽梵歌，和培训后听⽼师的提炼和讲解，感受⼜不⼀样！我认为这是我⼈生巨⼤的宝藏和财富！想要说的太多太多了……
200小时的瑜伽教师基础培训课程全程有汗水 有欢笑 有感动 ，收获的不仅仅是瑜伽🧘♀，练习体式顺位、教学实用技巧、智慧生活哲学，更有师生之间的教导情谊。
这次的培训不管是课程设置，还是每个老师提供的教导和展现的状态，都是对新手老师最好的指引和榜样。让我们对瑜伽习练者和瑜伽老师都有了正确的认知。我更加明确并坚定了自己踏上这条道路的信念，获得了如何继续下去的方法，并且开始行动。在Pure Yoga三年的工作和学习，感觉这里已经像家一样，不管是企业文化理念，还是所提供的瑜伽习练，都让我感到非常认同。Pure Yoga的200小时导师训练是我开始的地方，成为Pure Yoga的老师也是我的理想和目标。加油！
FULL TEACHER TRAINING PROGRAMME 20 April – 16 May, 2020
MORNING INTENSIVE PRACTICE
*Application is NOT required for Morning Intensive sign-up. Please register at Pure Yoga Studio reception
Photos and videos may be taken, solely for Pure marketing purposes.
Please complete an online application form or email us to apply. You will be notified by email within 3-5 days of its approval along with a Welcome Letter outlining payment procedures and further details.
Application is NOT required for Morning Intensives. Please register at studio reception.
Early-Bird Price: Application sent in on or before 15 Feb, 2020.
Regular Price: Application sent in starting from 16 Feb, 2020.
- All refunds are subject to a 10% processing fee before 15 Feb, 2020.
- All refunds are subject to a 30% processing fee starting 15 Feb, 2020.
- Processing fee will be deducted from your refund.
This programme requires a minimum of 25 students.
We accept a maximum of 50 students.
Special offer from Pure Apparel:
• 20% off all Pure Apparel retail products for all teacher training registrants.
Contact & Enquiries
For enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Pure Yoga Central Plaza
L3-1, 3F, Central Plaza, No.381 Middle Huaihai Rd., Huangpu District, Shanghai
T +86 21 6313 8830
*If there is any discrepancy between the printed and web versions, the web version shall prevail.
Your Physical Conditions and Safety
1. You understand that it is your responsibility to consult a physician regarding your ability to participate in the physical activities involved in the Training Course and that participating in the physical activities undertaken on the Training Course imposes physical demands upon you, and in particular you understand that the intensive nature of the yoga instruction provided on the Training Course, particularly in respect of hot yoga, will impose extra physical demands on you over and above those which you would experience, in a less intensive yoga practice session, or at cooler temperatures, and in lower humidity when engaging in any or comparable exercise.
2. You shall not participate in any of the physical activities on the Training Course whilst suffering from any infections or contagious illnesses, diseases or other ailments including but not limited to open cuts, abrasions, open sores or minor infections, where there is any risk that such use or participation in such conditions may be detrimental to the health, safety, comfort or physical conditions of other participants in the Training Course; you will bring any such matters to the attention of staff of Pure if in any doubt.
3. If you are pregnant, under medication and/or suffering from or having suffered from any medical disability you are strongly advised to seek the advice of a qualified medical practitioner before commencing any of the physical activities available on the Training Course.
4. No person who is under the influence of drugs or of alcohol is permitted on the Training Course.
5. You acknowledge and voluntarily assume (i) your responsibility to assess your level of fitness and general health (including where appropriate consulting your physician or doctor) and (ii) the risks of serious injury that are associated with physical activity of any kind including any variety of yoga, meditation and breath work practice and participation in yoga related activities or activities related to the Training Course (collectively the "Activities") including those off studio or Pure Facilities premises. You confirm that you shall retain all control and direction over your Activities at all times. You voluntarily assume full liability and accept the risk of harm, including physical injury and discomfort as a result of your participation in the various Activities in the Training Course.
Limitation of Liability
1. You hereby acknowledge that you are aware that in participating in the physical activities available on the Training Course, and in using the facilities there are risks or possibility of injury.
2. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, Pure, its related corporations and their respective servants, agents, employees and officers (collectively referred to in this Clause 2 as the "Pure Entities") shall not be liable for any loss or damage to property or in respect of any bodily injuries, illness or death of you, howsoever caused, aggravated or incurred arising out of or in any way connected with your participation in the Training Course and other services.
3. You hereby acknowledge that you understand and voluntarily accept the risks of injury involved in your participation in the Training Course. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable laws, you hereby agree the Pure Entities shall not be liable in contract, tort (including without limitation negligence), pre-contract or other representations or otherwise out of or in connection with your participation in the Training Course, for any claims, demands, damages, economic loss (including without limitation, loss of revenues, profits, contracts, business or anticipated savings), loss of good will or reputation, or special or indirect consequential losses in any case. You further agree not to hold the Pure Entities liable for any wilful act or omission, default, fraud or negligence of any other person or guest or third party within Pure operated facilities.
4. You hereby agree to defend, fully indemnify on demand and hold harmless the Pure Entities from and against all liabilities, claims, expenses, damages and losses including legal fees (on an indemnity basis) which the Pure Entities may suffer arising from any breach of these terms and conditions by you, or in connection with any act, omission, default, negligence or conduct of you in connection with any other liabilities arising out of you or any services under this Agreement. This obligation to indemnify Pure shall survive the termination of the Agreement.
Will I be able to teach right after I graduate from this programme?
Yes. All the course materials taught in this course prepare students with all the foundational knowledge and skills needed to become yoga teachers. Some students take it to deepen their own personal practice, kick-start a life transformational experience, while others do it to immediately to start a teaching career. Others who do not want to proceed into teaching immediately would immerse into further trainings. More than half the students from our graduate programmes begin teaching friends, family, moving into part-time teaching in studios and then full-time teaching.
Will I be able to teach at Pure Yoga after graduating from this programme?
Pure Yoga is always open to applications and supports graduates from our programmes. We do have many teachers at Pure Yoga currently who are previous graduates. While we encourage graduates to apply with us, there is never a guarantee of job placement due to availability of openings or space within our studios. However, any graduates whom apply with us are kept in our database and are advised if there are openings available.
Will Pure Yoga help with my Yoga Alliance application?
Upon successful graduation of our teacher training programmes, Pure Yoga will send the students a link to where they can apply for the Yoga Alliance certification. Our programmes and our school is Yoga Alliance accredited, meaning that students graduating from our programmes will “automatically” be approved when they apply to Yoga Alliance. From there, students will take their own steps in applying for Yoga Alliance – whether you are applying for 200-hour certification, 500-hour or so forth. We offer Yoga Alliance Registration Service, for price please refer to “Tuition”.
If I miss one day, will I be able to make up for it?
Students undergoing this programme must be fully committed and understand that 100% full attendance is required. They must also be willing to forgo most other personal or professional commitments for the duration of the programme – only with 100% attendance and completion of the course will students receive a certificate and no make-up of work will be given. Should there be any problems with this, students must speak with the faculty prior to the course and only under very special circumstances will it be considered.
Will I receive a certificate after the programme?
Upon successful completion, 100% attendance, and following the code of conduct – students will receive a Certificate of Completion from Pure Yoga for this teacher training programme.