Awakening: 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training with Amarjit Kumar
A practical guide to being a Yoga teacher
An experiential journey to enhance AWARENESS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
Building expertise and knowledge through learning how to teach can uplift individual understanding of yoga practice for physiological and psychological well-being.
Correct practice of the techniques requires proper understanding of the techniques’ roots. Learning a systematic teaching methodology that is consistent with human anatomy in the sequencing of postures and movements is key to safe and proper practice. Good sequencing skills enable physical balance in every part of the body; having a focused and open mind brings a balanced state of mental abilities.
Yoga calls for a holistic approach to Body, Mind & Spirit. The disciplines of yoga postures and meditation are closely linked and complement each other. Better understanding of the philosophical and practical aspects behind the practice of postures and meditation helps in maintaining a healthy, happy and sensible lifestyle. It enables knowing yourself and others better and may also enhance your interaction with others.
This teacher training course requires commitment and discipline, and you will benefit from:
- Mastering the art, techniques and principles of Yoga
- Being a well-rounded yoga teacher who understands the physical, physiological, psychological and philosophical aspects of Yoga
Yoga Alliance Accredited School
The teacher training course is comprised of 9 Modules that provide a comprehensive understanding of what is Yoga and Meditation, the interconnectedness of body and mind, and the positive effects to our daily life. Covered topics include the Yogic Vision of the Upanishads and the Vedic Tradition of Yoga.
Module 1 – Yoga Philosophy, History, and Classifications
Learn the development of Yoga through important works including the Yoga Sutras and Bhagavad Gita:
- The true meaning of Yoga
- What Yoga is NOT
- Four Main Branches of Yoga
- The Eight Limbs
- The Three Bodies and Five Sheaths
- Seven Chakras and Kundalini Yoga
- Chakra’s Beej Mantras
- History of Yoga (Pre-classical to Modern vs Traditional Yoga)
Module 2 – Asanas & Surya Namaskara
Learn the purpose and correct practice of yoga postures:
- Classification and Application of all types of Asanas
- Correct Alignment and Adjustment of Asanas
- The Art & Science of Body & Mind
- Health Management & Therapy
- Distinguishing Yoga and Exercise
- Correct Alignment & Sequencing to Avoid Injury
- Safety Guideline on Asanas Adjustment
- Systematic Self-Practice Habit to Enable Consistency & Improvement
- Application of Proper Yoga Props to Facilitate Students of Various Levels
- Therapeutic Effect and Body Anatomy as it Applies to Surya Namaskara
- Progression into Advanced Posture through Surya Namaskara
- Relationship between Surya Namaskara and Chakras & its Effects
- Surya Namaskara with Sound Vibration (Vocal and Chanting)
Module 3 – Anatomy and Physiology
Learn about the human body and its relationship with Yoga:
- Different Components of Body
- How Yoga Benefits our Body
- Body Motion & Movement
- The Different Organ Systems (Skeletal, Muscular, Respiratory,
- Anatomy of Human Body and Common Asanas
- Relationship between Breathing and Muscle/Joint Movement
Module 4 – Mudra, Bandha, Pranayama & Meditation
Learn internal techniques that increase awareness, stability and concentration:
- Introduction to Mudras
- Introduction to Three Main Bandhas
- Pranayama Principles in Yoga
- Introduction to Pranayama, its Benefits and Techniques
- Pancha Pranas and Upa Pranas
- The Importance of Meditation
- The Challenges and Effects of Meditation
- The Methods of Meditating
- The Inner Light Meditation Method
Module 5 – Shatkarma
Learn the Yogic cleansing processes to help eliminate toxins:
- Jala Neti
- Sutra Neti
- Vaman Dhauti
- Madhyama Nauli
Module 6 – Mantras, Chants & Prayers & How to Read Devanagiri Script (Sanskrit)
Learn how to chant and the power of chanting:
- Introduction to Mantras
- The Purpose of Chanting
- Introduction to Om/Aum
- Gayatri Mantra
- Guru Brahma Chant
- Mahamrityunjaya Mantra
- Opening Prayer & Closing Prayer
- How to read Devanagiri Script (Sanskrit) & Posture Names in Sanskrit
- Basic Vocabulary, Names and Meaning of Asanas, Pranayamas & Mantras in Sanskrit
Module 7 – The Science of Hatha Yoga
Learn the framework for a holistic yoga practice that prepares us for its ultimate goal (meditation):
- Asanas Index
- Origins & Key Concepts
- Six Aspects of Hatha Yoga
Module 8 – Teaching Methodology and Lesson Planning
Learn to teach yoga clearly and systematically through:
- Lesson Design and Planning
- Creating a Balanced Sequence
- Timing of Different Sequence
- Demonstration vs Instructions
- The Art of Giving Instructions
- Classroom Management
- The Physical Environment
- Finding Your Most Suitable Teaching Style
Module 9 – Assignments and Practicum
14, 20, 21, 27, 28 August
3. 4. 10. 11. 12. 17. 18. 24. 25 September
1, 2,4,8,9 October
9:00am-11:00am Intensive Practice
11:30am-1:00pm Lecture, Iterative practice
Lunch: 1:00pm – 2:00pm
2:00pm-3:00pm Yoga Nidra/Meditation
3:00pm-4:00pm Lecture & Discussion
4:30pm-7:00pm Teaching, methods, sharing
*There will be several short breaks throughout the day.
Students who are interested in participating should bear in mind that this will be a physically and emotionally demanding programme. It will require a strong commitment and personal sacrifice, as well as the support of the student's primary support network.
Interested students must:
• Have a deep desire to learn and personally explore the deeper dimensions of yoga
• Have a minimum of 12 months of regular yoga practice
• Be free of major injuries going into the programme
• Have a coachable attitude
• Be fully committed and understand that 100% full attendance is required
• Be willing to forgo most other personal or professional commitments for the duration of the programme
• Have read the required readings and submitted homework below prior to the beginning of the course.
Yoga Anatomy – Leslie Kaminoff
Yoga Sutras of Patañjali (any version)
Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha by Swami Satyananda Saraswati
About Amarjit Kumar
Amarjit began his Yoga journey at the age of 10 and has since accumulated in-depth knowledge and practical experiences in yoga practice. In his pursuit of yogic excellence, he started studying authentic Yoga as a youth and devoted himself to its continuous practice both in spirit and in form. He has been recognised for his talent and has won numerous national and provincial yoga championships in India.
Under the guidance of his teacher Prabir Karmakar in yoga training and having been deeply inspired by Swami Niranjanananda Saraswati at the Bihar School of Yoga, Amarjit wanted to impart and share his inner feelings of yoga with more people around the world. He first began his yoga teaching career in 2002 in India, later moving to Bangkok in 2005 and then Hong Kong since 2007. He displays his passion for yoga philosophy as a way of life and translates the traditional essence and concepts of Yoga into practical application and body-mind enhancement in today’s world.
Amarjit believes that perfection comes from keen awareness and genuine practice. His classes will allow you to learn more about your body as well as to develop self-confidence with mental balance and stability. His focus is on the harmonious flow of body, breath and mind – to co-ordinate bodily movements and postures with proper breathing as well as physical alignment in a systematic and scientific way, resulting in blissful moments for practitioners of all levels.
QUALIFICATIONS & CERTIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree in Yoga, TGO University, India, 2017
- Certified Teacher, AYM, India (200 hours), 2017
- Referee- Asian Yoga Federation (Asian Yoga Championship), 2016 – present
- Certificate in Sports Science and Fitness Foundation, AASFP, Hong Kong, 2015
- Secretary, Hong Kong Yogathon (Int’l) Co. Ltd., 2015 – present
- Secretary, Yoga Federation of Hong Kong, 2015 – present
- Certified Teacher (Satyananda Yoga), Bihar School of Yoga, 2008
- Diploma in Yoga Therapy, Ghosh’s Yoga College, Kolkata, India, 2003
Certified Hatha Yoga Teacher, Karmakar Institute of Yoga, India, 2003
MORNING INTENSIVE PRACTICE
*Please register at any Hong Kong PURE Yoga Studio
*Graduates from Amarjit’s previous 200-hr or 300-hr training courses enjoy 50% off Regular Price.
Photos and videos may be taken, solely for PURE marketing purposes.
Please complete an online application form or email us to apply. You will be notified by email within 3-5 days of its approval along with a Welcome Letter outlining payment procedures and further details. Application is NOT required for Morning Intensives. Please register at studio reception.
· No refund or credit will be given for cancellation starting 16 July 2022.
· Valid refunds are subject to a 10% processing fee that will be deducted from your refund.
This programme requires a minimum of 10 students.
Healthy-licious juice cleanse offer from nood food
• HK$200 discount on nood food 3-Day juice cleanse for all yoga event registrants on training dates. Ask nood food staff at your event location for details.
• 10% off all nood food items for all yoga event registrants on dates of the training.
Special offer from PURE Retail
10% off all PURE Apparel/Kurios regular-priced products for all yoga event registrants on dates of the workshop.
Contact & Enquiries
For enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please refer here for the full terms & conditions