Fundamental: 200-Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training with Gopal Palanisamy
Experience a Mindful Journey through Breath
Hatha Yoga is a way for us to balance the energies in our bodies. Traditional Hatha Yoga is the science of utilising the body to speed up the process of your spiritual evolution. It’s not an exercise. It’s a way of understanding the geometry and mechanics of the human body.
Whether you’re looking to deepen your personal practice or to teach professionally, this course will provide you with everything you need to take your yoga practice to the next level.
This training course will focus on five major Components.
• Yoga Philosophy
• Teaching Methodology
o Principles of Alignment
o Art of Adjustment
You’ll learn the basic principles of yoga and comprehend the essential elements needed to deepen the inner awareness in your practice to become an authentic Yoga Teacher.
• History and Modern History
• Philosophy and Aims of Yoga
• Different Lineages, Schools and Methods
• Streams of Yoga
• Important Sutras of Patanjali
- Ashtanga Yoga & Its Limbs
• Sutras from Great Saints of South India
• Pancha Koshas (5 Sheaths)
• Chakras and Their Functions
(Ujjayi, Nadi sodhana, Bhastrika, Kapalabhati, Sheetali & Sheetkari)
• Yogic Breathing
• Techniques, Effects, Hints and Cautions
• Kriyas – ShatKarma – 6 Cleansing Techniques
• Mudras (Hand Gestures)
# Common Mudras, Meanings and Practices
o Types, Importance of Yoga and Benefits
• Nadis – Study of three Channels
o We Learn How to Unblock
- Sanskrit Names and their corresponding English names
- Meaning of the asanas
- How to modify an asana for the needs of a student
(Beginner, stiffer, or with injuries)
- Learn muscle groups for an asana – where and which part to engage to reduce effort and bring better result with ease
- Learn how to apply functional Human Anatomy in Asana Alignment
- Importance and Benefits
- Precautions (Dos and Don’ts)
- Explore asanas not for perfection but to be aware of and prevent common mistakes
- Duration of Stay
- Adjustment Techniques
- Use of Props
• Anatomical Planes
o Directions, terms, definitions & movements
• Connective Tissues
• Skeletal System
o Directions of Mobility (bones & joints)
• Muscular System
o Names and functions of muscle groups
• How to apply basic terms while teaching asanas
• Learn the locations of bones, joints and muscles in our bodies and their range of movements
Understanding the important facts and functions of our body’s 7 Systems
(Digestive, Respiratory, Circulatory, Nervous, Excretory, Reproductive and Endocrine)
• How to meditate
o Short to longer duration
o How to overcome challenges & obstacles
• Types of meditation
e.g. Mantra, Yoga Nidra, Trataka,
• Importance, benefits and practice
• Meditation for anxiety, anger, relaxation, focus and happiness
Mantras & Chants
-OM Sound of Universe
-Mantras for Peace, Happiness, Grounding, Gratitude & different diets – e.g. Shiva, Ganesha, Shakthi, etc.
-Connecting Guru Shishya
• How to structure a class
• Principles of teaching
• Art of lesson planning and sequencing
• Learning how to break (Planning and duration)
• How to modify an asana for the benefit of a student from beginner to Intermediate
• How to teach theme-based classes
• Importance of demonstrations and explanations
o Verbal Communications
o Body Language
o Building confidence
o How to break down the cues
• Guidelines for Yoga Teachers
• Ethics to follow inside the class
• How, why and when to use props
At the end of the programme, students will walk away with a proper foundation for teaching yoga safely through clear instructions, adjustment skills, and as a compassionate, knowledgeable, confident, grounded teacher.”
3, 4, 10, 11, 12, 17, 18, 24, 25, September
8,9, 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30 October
7:00am – 9:00am – Morning Intensives
Students who are interested in participating should bear in mind that this will be a physically and emotionally demanding programme. It will require a strong commitment and personal sacrifice as well as the support of the student's primary support network. We emphasise that this programme may not be for everyone.
At the age of 8, Gopal started practising yoga as an extracurricular school activity. Practising yoga poses with schoolmates for inter-school competitions and performances sparked him to further explore yoga. Sharing his yoga learnings with others and hearing that they felt better because of it motivated him to deepen his knowledge in yogic science.
After practising yoga, Gopal feels that life has lifted him as a person to love, to serve, to be content, to give and to elevate the mind. For him, Yoga is a way of life that emphasises what is important – humility, grace, kindness, breath, honouring your body, hope, change, stillness – through a series of movements. The movements are the vessels that carry this belief system through every inch of the body.
Yoga keeps you grounded through the hard times, rejoices with you in the good times, and heals you in the sad times. It is a friend you can always count on. It is a place you always belong. It is a time of stillness when you need calm; it is a place of energy when you need uplifting.
Gopal says his parents’ unconditional love and constant support, and his dedication towards the art has led him to become a yoga teacher. He also cites as his major teachers:
Master Dr. Kamal Srinivas – Gopal got the chance to teach abroad, where he learnt yoga philosophy directly from Dr. Kamal. Gopal’s life literally changed because of him.
David Swenson – David is a super kind person with a beautiful heart. From David, Gopal learnt how to be humble, grounded and to show kindness.
Andrey Lappa – Gopal feels so glad and lucky to have Andrey in his yoga journey. Andrey is like an ocean of knowledge that constantly serves for humanity.
From all his teachers, Gopal has learnt to live life simply, to be content, to meditate, to practise asanas with the right intention, to have a healthy balanced life, to be grounded, to serve and love unconditionally.
Gopal approaches his classes with a sense of humour. His poses always have an option from beginner to advance, motivating everyone towards a healthy practice. Apart from physical strength, flexibility, alignments and adjustments, he likes to take his students towards joy, peace and finding harmony with a healthy state of mind. His focus is more on grounding, being centred, and mindful breath awareness, all of which come from the heart. He likes his students to approach the practice in a grounded rather than competitive way. He loves to see students relaxed – physically, mentally and spiritually. Most importantly, Gopal wants to help students to understand yoga as the best tool that can be applied in life’s every aspect.
QUALIFICATIONS & CERTIFICATIONS
- Universal Yoga Teacher Training with Andrey Lappa (500 hours), 2013
- Registered E-RYT 500 Yoga Alliance Teacher
- Sivananda Yoga 500-Hour Advance Teacher Training (Yoga Aacharya), 2010
- Ashtanga Yoga Teacher Training with David Swenson, 2009
- Certified Muay Thai Instructor with AASFP, 2009
- Certified Muay Thai Instructor with AASFP, 2008
- Certified Dance Instructor with AASFP, 2008
- Diploma in Yoga Therapy, 2005
- Sivananda Yoga Teacher Training (200 hours), 2004
- Diploma in Yogic Science and Education, 2003
- Diploma in Naturopathy and Yogic Science, 2000
Fundamental: 200-Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training
MORNING INTENSIVE PRACTICE
*Online application is NOT required for Morning Intensive sign-up
*Please register at any Hong Kong PURE Yoga Studio
Morning Intensive Practice Drop-in
Photos and video may be taken, solely for PURE marketing purposes.
Early-Bird Price: Application sent in on or before 17 July 2022.
Regular Price: Application sent in starting 18 July 2022.
· No refund or credit will be given for cancellation starting 18 July 2022.
· Valid refunds are subject to a 10% processing fee that will be deducted from your refund.
Healthy-licious juice cleanse offer from nood food
• HK$200 discount on nood food 3-Day juice cleanse for all yoga event registrants on training dates. Ask nood food staff at your event location for details.
• 10% off all nood food items for all yoga event registrants on dates of the training.
Contact & Enquiries
For enquiries, please email email@example.com.
Will I be able to teach right after I graduate from this programme?
*Please refer here for the full terms & conditions