Pre- & Post-natal Yoga Teacher Training with Samantha Chan
Yoga’s emphasis on relaxation and body and breath awareness suits pregnant women’s perinatal fitness needs perfectly. Specialised pre-natal practices help them tune into the needs and changes of pregnancy and to promote relaxation and suppleness. This Pre- & Post-natal Yoga Teacher Training is dedicated to:
• Nurturing physically, emotionally and spiritually expectant mothers, birth partners & their unborn children
• Encouraging practitioners to unfold the body-mind-spirit connection that is vital to the practice of yoga
• Passing on these experiences to future mothers, parents & their unborn children
This training offers an in-depth review of the anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, labour and birth. Trainees will gain extensive experience with asanas well-suited to pregnant women and a thorough understanding of contraindications during pregnancy. The training will attune teachers to the profound physical, emotional, mental and spiritual transitions of pregnancy and birth and demonstrate how tools such as chanting, pranayama, deep relaxation and meditation can be effective ways of coping with these changes.
This course is delivered using a combination of face-to-face lectures, practicum, your own research, observation of classes, teaching practice, and assignments.
The course is fully registered with Yoga Alliance. Completion will allow you to become a Yoga Alliance Registered Pre-natal Yoga Teacher (RPYT). Upon completion of this course and all assignments, students will be awarded a certificate of participation.
Yoga Alliance Accredited School
Pure Yoga is a registered school with Yoga Alliance. Our teacher training programmes and teachers are internationally accredited, have exclusive recognition and qualify for the 200-hr Yoga Alliance Certification.
Yoga Alliance is an international governing board for yoga teachers and training programmes in the U.S and globally. Graduates of our programme are automatically eligible to register as a RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) with Yoga Alliance. Becoming a RYT means having a higher profile and gaining international recognition as a yoga teacher attributes that many hiring studios look for.
We offer this training in an effort to grow our community of committed yoga practitioners, empowering those who demonstrate dedication to a personal practice, by sharing the knowledge, skills and tools we have learned so they too can start teaching yoga.
We intend to guide trainees toward a healthy self-confidence, while at the same time invoking in them a sense of humility and excitement, knowing that they are at the beginning of a long journey.
Module 1: Pre-natal Yoga
This module provides each student with an in-depth knowledge of pre-natal yoga, helping them foster a deeper personal consciousness and inner self-awareness. We focus on providing our teachers with a balanced understanding of the emotional and psychological journey into motherhood as well as the relevant and precise anatomy and physiology. This enables our teachers to guide women into their own intuition with integrity and awareness.
• Asanas, pranayama (breathing techniques), meditation, and other yogic practices for pregnancy through direct experiential learning
• Common complaints, contraindications and conditions during pregnancy, and skills on how to adapt your teaching safely
• Modifications and adjustments for different trimesters & different levels of experience in a pre-natal yoga class
• Safe, effective and inspiring teaching methods for a pre-natal yoga teacher
• Organisational skills, communication skills, planning, presentation, evaluation, and structure of a pre-natal yoga class
Module 2: Post-natal Yoga
This module teaches the skills to build a foundation of physical, emotional and spiritual health from which women can flourish as mothers and in all the roles they play. It will also cover some practical techniques to help them feel centred, give them a more positive outlook, and provide simple tools to empower themselves throughout their day on and off the mat.
• Anatomy and physiology of post-natal women – hormonal changes, pelvic floor recovery, birth trauma
• Specific post-natal yoga practice and principles – safety issues, maternal posture, core strength, relaxation
• Teaching skills for post-natal yoga
• Benefits of yoga in the post-natal period
• Reflection on birth, mother and baby attachment, feeding, spectrum of emotions following birth, and post-natal depression
• Common physical and emotional complaints and ailments after labour
• Importance of housekeeping and environment, class format options, venue, advertising, and health and safety
Module 3: Yoga for Active Birth
This final module is only open to those who have completed Modules 1 & 2. This course will offer a deeper understanding of birth and the ways in which women/couples can prepare for this by offering insight, movement, breath and positioning, as well as many other tools that can help during the stages of labour.
• Anatomy and physiology of birth
• Different roles of a birthing partner
• An in-depth understanding of different stages of labour
• Importance of birth hormones
• Optimal positioning and use of movement to help during different stages of labour
• Breathing and relaxation techniques for mothers and birthing partners
• Use of sound, visualisation and meditation to help during labour
• Strategies for implementing active birthing techniques in hospital settings
Full Programme : 5 – 14 June, 2021
Module 1 : Pre-natal Yoga 5-7 June, Saturday - Monday
Module 2 : Post-natal Yoga 8-9 June, Tuesday - Wednesday
Module 3 : Yoga for Active Birth 11-14 June, Friday - Monday
8:30am – 12:30pm, 1:30pm – 5:30pm
Commitment, determination and good health are the basic requisites. Students must be prepared to make personal sacrifices in order to achieve 100% course attendance.
• To be dedicated to the practice of yoga
• To either be yoga teachers, yoga teacher trainees or health care professionals who have great interest in knowing more about the benefits of pregnancy yoga
It is not necessary to have children in order to safely and beautifully teach pre-natal yoga. All that is needed is sincere interest and desire to learn more about pregnancy & the birthing process.
Samantha began yoga with intentions to deepen her personal practice and expand her knowledge of yoga. After her first teacher training programme in 2005, yoga transformed into a lifelong journey of learning, opening, sharing and teaching. Samantha’s vision and knowledge have grown to include not only yoga, but also women’s health, life balance, and total wellness. She enjoys her friendships, family, pottery, photography, reading, hiking, travel and food.
Samantha’s inspiration comes from each of her past teachers as well as her students. She believes that watching students practise yoga increases her understanding of yoga’s complete benefit for a happy and healthy life. This enables her to continually grow as she teaches. In addition to her foundational Hatha Vinyasa teacher training, she has also expanded into Pre- and Post-natal Yoga Teacher Training, Birthlight Perinatal Yoga, Infant Massage, and Kids Yoga.
Samantha is particularly focused on teaching that allows for the progression of students at their own paces. Her style is steady, calm and very approachable. She has an astonishing way of making students work, raising their practice to higher and higher levels – without them feeling it was all work and no play… … aptly her nickname is ‘Killer Sam’! She is down-to-earth and guiding in her life as well as her teaching.
QUALIFICATIONS & CERTIFICATIONS
· Power + Precision + Mindfulness Mastering the Art of Vinyasa Yoga 50-hour Training with Jason Crandell (2016)
· Dharma Yoga Wheel Teacher Training with Dov Bargas & Leela Om (2016)
· Diploma in Birthlight Postnatal with Jane Collins, Birthlight, UK (2016)
· Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, Institute for Integrative Nutrition, USA (2016)
· Yoga Bou Teacher Training Course with Michiko Minegishi (2015)
· Yoga Biomechanics Lab with Jonas Weststring (2015)
· Diploma in Birthlight Perinatal Yoga Parts 1 and 2 with Jane Collins, Birthlight, UK (2015)
· Reiki Master with Joyce Thom (2015)
· Wall Rope Yoga 35-hour Training Level 1 (Iyengar Based) with Bryan Legere (2014)
· Certification on Massage in Schools Programme (MISP), Massage in Schools Association International (2014)
· Raw Food Chef and Health Educator Certification, Levels 1-3 (2013-2014)
· Certification on Infant Massage, International Association of Infant Massage, Sweden (2014)
· Alexander Method of SMR Level I Coach Certification (2014)
· Reiki I and II with Joyce Thom (2013)
· Insight Yoga Teacher Training with Sarah Powers, Taiwan (2012)
· Yoga Therapy Diploma Certification from Paramanand University of India (2011)
· Pregnancy, Birth and Baby Yoga Teacher Training with Jean Byrne & Michelle Papa (2011)
· Moving into Meditation with Sarah Powers, Hong Kong (2011)
· Yin Yoga Training – A 3-day Teacher Intensive with Sarah Powers, Beijing (25 hours) (2010)
· Diploma in Yogakids Facilitator, CYKF, Yoga Kids International (2009)
· POET for Yoga Anatomy with Ellen Heed (31 hours) (2009)
· Foundations YogaKids Facilitator Training and Certification Programme, Yoga Kids International (2008)
· Functional Anatomy for Yoga Teachers with Ellen Heed (20 hours) (2007)
· 250-hour Hatha Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Training at Yoga Limbs Hong Kong (2006)
Early-bird 20% off Discount
Module 1 : Pre-natal Yoga
Module 2 : Post-natal Yoga
Module 3 : Yoga for Active Birth
Photos and videos may be taken, solely for PURE marketing purposes.
Please complete an online application form or email us to apply. You will be notified by email within 3-5 days of its approval along with a Welcome Letter outlining payment procedures and further details.
Early-Bird Price: Application sent in on or before 1 May 2021.
Regular Price: Application sent in starting from 2 May 2021.
- All refunds are subject to a 10% processing fee on or before 1 May 2021.
- All refunds are subject to a 30% processing fee starting 2 May 2021.
- Processing fee will be deducted from your refund.
This programme requires a minimum of 15 students.
Special offer from Pure Apparel and nood food:
- 20% off all Pure Apparel retail products for all yoga event registrants on dates of the workshop.
- 20% off all nood food items for all yoga event registrants on dates of the workshop.
Contact & Enquiries
For enquiries, please email email@example.com
*If there is any discrepancy between the printed and web versions, the web version shall prevail.
Waiver of Liability
Your Physical Conditions and Safety
1. You understand that it is your responsibility to consult a physician regarding your ability to participate in the physical activities involved in the Training Course and that participating in the physical activities undertaken on the Training Course imposes physical demands upon you, and in particular you understand that the intensive nature of the yoga instruction provided on the Training Course, particularly in respect of hot yoga, will impose extra physical demands on you over and above those which you would experience, in a less intensive yoga practice session, or at cooler temperatures, and in lower humidity when engaging in any or comparable exercise.
2. You shall not participate in any of the physical activities on the Training Course whilst suffering from any infections or contagious illnesses, diseases or other ailments including but not limited to open cuts, abrasions, open sores or minor infections, where there is any risk that such use or participation in such conditions may be detrimental to the health, safety, comfort or physical conditions of other participants in the Training Course; you will bring any such matters to the attention of staff of Pure if in any doubt.
3. If you are pregnant, under medication and/or suffering from or having suffered from any medical disability you are strongly advised to seek the advice of a qualified medical practitioner before commencing any of the physical activities available on the Training Course.
4. No person who is under the influence of drugs or of alcohol is permitted on the Training Course.
5. You acknowledge and voluntarily assume (i) your responsibility to assess your level of fitness and general health (including where appropriate consulting your physician or doctor) and (ii) the risks of serious injury that are associated with physical activity of any kind including any variety of yoga, meditation and breath work practice and participation in yoga related activities or activities related to the Training Course (collectively the "Activities") including those off studio or Pure Facilities premises. You confirm that you shall retain all control and direction over your Activities at all times. You voluntarily assume full liability and accept the risk of harm, including physical injury and discomfort as a result of your participation in the various Activities in the Training Course.
Limitation of Liability
1. You hereby acknowledge that you are aware that in participating in the physical activities available on the Training Course, and in using the facilities there are risks or possibility of injury.
2. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, Pure, its related corporations and their respective servants, agents, employees and officers (collectively referred to in this Clause 2 as the "Pure Entities") shall not be liable for any loss or damage to property or in respect of any bodily injuries, illness or death of you, howsoever caused, aggravated or incurred arising out of or in any way connected with your participation in the Training Course and other services.
3. You hereby acknowledge that you understand and voluntarily accept the risks of injury involved in your participation in the Training Course. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable laws, you hereby agree the Pure Entities shall not be liable in contract, tort (including without limitation negligence), pre-contract or other representations or otherwise out of or in connection with your participation in the Training Course, for any claims, demands, damages, economic loss (including without limitation, loss of revenues, profits, contracts, business or anticipated savings), loss of good will or reputation, or special or indirect consequential losses in any case. You further agree not to hold the Pure Entities liable for any wilful act or omission, default, fraud or negligence of any other person or guest or third party within Pure operated facilities.
4. You hereby agree to defend, fully indemnify on demand and hold harmless the Pure Entities from and against all liabilities, claims, expenses, damages and losses including legal fees (on an indemnity basis) which the Pure Entities may suffer arising from any breach of these terms and conditions by you, or in connection with any act, omission, default, negligence or conduct of you in connection with any other liabilities arising out of you or any services under this Agreement. This obligation to indemnify Pure shall survive the termination of the Agreement.
Will I be able to teach right after I graduate from this programme?
Yes. All the course materials taught in this course prepare students with all the foundational knowledge and skills needed to become yoga teachers. Some students take it to deepen their own personal practice, kick-start a life transformational experience, while others do it to immediately to start a teaching career. Others who do not want to proceed into teaching immediately would immerse into further trainings. More than half the students from our graduate programmes begin teaching friends, family, moving into part-time teaching in studios and then full-time teaching.
Will I be able to teach at Pure Yoga after graduating from this programme?
Pure Yoga is always open to applications and supports graduates from our programmes. We do have many teachers at Pure Yoga currently who are previous graduates. While we encourage graduates to apply with us, there is never a guarantee of job placement due to availability of openings or space within our studios. However, any graduates whom apply with us are kept in our database and are advised if there are openings available.
Will Pure Yoga help with my Yoga Alliance application?
Upon successful graduation of our teacher training programmes, Pure Yoga will send the students a link to where they can apply for the Yoga Alliance certification. Our programmes and our school is Yoga Alliance accredited, meaning that students graduating from our programmes will “automatically” be approved when they apply to Yoga Alliance. From there, students will take their own steps in applying for Yoga Alliance – whether you are applying for 200-hour certification, 500-hour or so forth. We offer Yoga Alliance Registration Service, for price please refer to “Tuition”.
If I miss one day, will I be able to make up for it?
Students undergoing this programme must be fully committed and understand that 100% full attendance is required. They must also be willing to forgo most other personal or professional commitments for the duration of the programme – only with 100% attendance and completion of the course will students receive a certificate and no make-up of work will be given. Should there be any problems with this, students must speak with the faculty prior to the course and only under very special circumstances will it be considered.
Will I receive a certificate after the programme?
Upon successful completion, 100% attendance, and following the code of conduct – students will receive a Certificate of Completion from Pure Yoga for this teacher training programme.
*Please refer here for the full terms & conditions