Yoga for Trauma & Mental Health Teacher Training
12-14 November, Online via Zoom
Trauma is a complex phenomenon and many people who attend yoga classes will have a lived experience of trauma in their histories and bodies. Yoga professionals have an important role and responsibility to offer practices that support healing.
This weekend intensive training is designed to upskill yoga professionals to understand the need for trauma sensitivity in the yoga setting and to translate the best international research into practice in order to use yoga as a body-based form of adjunctive therapy.
Our training is developed and delivered by Mental Health Professionals, Senior Yoga Teachers and Yoga Therapists. The training will help you to communicate better and improve the well-being of people with trauma history and those experiencing mental health challenges such as anxiety and depression. Additionally, you will reflect on your own self-care, burn-out and secondary trauma that may occur when teaching yoga.
The weekend will be facilitated by Chandrika Gibson ND, Jean Byrne PhD, Rob Schutze PhD/Clinical Psychologist, and Satyam Brown BSW MCouns. Together they have 100 years of meditation and yoga experience and extensive professional experience working with trauma and mental health across a variety of settings.
- Understanding of commonly occurring mental health conditions—from psychological distress to psychiatric conditions—their symptoms, and common approaches/ interventions
- Knowledge of psychological concepts and terminology
- Knowledge of yoga perspectives on distracted/disturbed conditions of mind and their expressions
- Understanding of the impact of different types of trauma including intergenerational trauma and institutionalised trauma
- Familiarity with evidence-based approaches to healing and recovery
- Understanding of research using yoga and mindfulness as healing interventions in mental health and trauma
- Knowledge of basic nervous system anatomy and neuroplasticity as it relates to yoga
- Understanding of burn-out and self-care strategies for helpers and healers
- Experience and understanding of trauma-sensitive yoga
- Practical applications of trauma-sensitive teaching into general yoga classes and yoga therapy
Chandrika Gibson (ND MWell C-IAYT PhDc) is a Senior Yoga Teacher, Yoga Therapist, Naturopath, Cancer Researcher, co-owner of Surya Health, co-creator at Wisdom Yoga Institute and Published Academic. She is also a member of ANTA (Australian Natural Therapists Association), SIO (Society of Integrative Oncology), AIMA (Australasian Integrative Medicine Association), former President of the AAYT (Australasian Association of Yoga Therapists) and member of IAYT (International Association of Yoga Therapists).
Jean Byrne (PhD) is a Senior Yoga Teacher, Yoga Therapist, Childbirth Educator, Creator of Yoga Education, co-owner of the Yoga Space, West Perth, co-creator at Wisdom Yoga Institute, and Published Academic. Jean is one of a few Australian yoga teachers who have the honour of being on the Yoga Australia Council of Advisors.
Rob Schutze (PhD) is a Clinical Psychologist, Senior Yoga Teacher, Yoga Therapist and published academic. He is a Post-Doctoral Fellow at Curtin University and explores the intersection of pain, psychology, physiotherapy and mindfulness. Rob runs the Psychology practice Wisdom Health Psychology.
Satyam Brown (BSW MCouns) is a mobile palliative care social worker who supports families, individuals, carers and health professionals to bring dignity and humanity to the care of people at the end of their lives. He has 20 years of frontline experience with child protection, youth at risk, disability support, aged care, life-limiting illnesses and palliative care. He is also a meditation facilitator, educator, and co-founder of Surya Health.
12 November (Friday)
5:00pm – 8:30pm
13 November (Saturday)
12:00pm – 6:00pm
14 November (Sunday)
12:00pm – 4:00pm
Total 13.0 hours
PURE Cardholder Early-Bird 20% Off:
HK$2,800 (ends 15 October)
Non-PURE Cardholder Early-Bird 10% Off:
HK$3,111 (ends 15 October)
Photos and videos may be taken, solely for PURE marketing purposes.
- Early-Bird Price: Application sent in on or before 15 October 2021.
- Regular Price: Application sent in starting 16 October 2021.
- No refund or credit will be given for cancellation starting 16 October 2021.
- All refunds are subject to a 10% processing fee that will be deducted from your refund.
***All applications for refund (medical & emergency reasons) must be made within 3 days after the event finishes.
Healthy-licious juice cleanse offer from nood food:
- $200 discount on nood food 3-Day juice cleanse for all yoga event registrants on workshop dates. Ask nood food staff at your workshop location for details.
- 10% off all nood food items for all yoga event registrants on dates of the workshop.
To register, please contact any PURE Yoga studio or see reception.
*Please refer here for the full terms & conditions